Topics for Discussion
1. Why do the townspeople fear the Alm Uncle? Why does Heidi not fear him?
2. The grandmother is permanently blind, yet Heidi manages to bring her light. Explain the various ways in which she does this.
3. How is Heidi's year in Frankfurt a positive experience for her? What does she gain from being there?
4. Grandfather wishes to keep Heidi at home rather than send her to school because at home "she is safe and will learn nothing evil." What does he wish to protect her from? Is his caution justified?
5. As Heidi gets ready to go home to her grandfather, she is careful to wear her red shawl and old straw hat, and she leaves her feathered hat behind at Brigitta's house. Why is what she wears so.....